From 1936 to 1955 there existed only one junior high school, Kingsport Junior High, composed of seventh and eighth grades. The school was housed in the building now known as the Kingsport Renaissance Center at the corner of Wateree and Center Streets. In 1955 the City of Kingsport responded to our growing student population by opening Ross N. Robinson Junior High and renaming Kingsport Junior High as John Sevier Junior High in honor of the first governor of Tennessee. Ninth graders were added to the junior high level at that time. In the fall of 1967, John Sevier Junior High moved to a completely renovated building formerly occupied by Dobyns-Bennett High School on Wateree Street. With the close of the 1975-76 school year, John Sevier Junior High became John Sevier Middle School, consisting of grades six, seven, and eight.
From 1994 to 1997, John Sevier Middle School received another extensive renovation. The seventh and eighth grade classes were moved to the vacant Washington Elementary School building on East Sevier Avenue while the sixth grade classes were moved to Ross N. Robinson Middle School. In the fall of 1997, the John Sevier student body returned to a completely upgraded facility. Additional renovations were completed in 2009, including an expanded band room, a re-configured front office, and an additional general storage area. In 2013-2014 John Sevier Middle School will open with approximately 800 students.
John Sevier has a history of exceptional school spirit and excellent academics, fine arts, and athletic programs. Our students have received acclaim, winning high honors in district and regional competitions in all facets of our curriculum.